Reblogged from thespianoge
Painted Skull of a Child in Hallstatt. Located in the Austrian village of Halstatt, The Painted Skulls Ossuary was built back in the 12th century to accommodate a flourishing population and a crowded cemetery. The tradition of skull painting began in 1790, when members of the deceased’s family started painting the skulls, because they weren’t able to visit a grave an deposit mementos/flowers.
Photo credit: Michael Lahanas